Our Materials and Ingredients
Let's Start with the Packaging........
We take great pride in our environmental effort when it comes to our packaging and containers.
Our postal boxes are made from 70% recycled paper at source and is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) approved. This means that the product is traceable to sustainable forests, which are long-term managed and audited to the FSC UK standards.
Wax Melt Packaging
Our wax melts are contained within a completely biodegradable bag, which breaks down within 4-6 weeks once disposed within a composter.
Once the candles and/or wax melts are removed, we encourage all of our amazing customers to compost or reuse the box/bags instead of recycling.
Team CandleCalm normally cut up any waste packaging, including our fully biodegradable tape, then wet it slightly and throw it in the composter. The worms do the rest.
Candle Container Upcycling
Provided with our candles is our bespoke herb seeded paper dust cover, which can be used to grow kitchen herbs in the glass container once the candle has burned out. This is known as our Glow n' Grow initiative. We encourage all of our amazing customers to use the seeded paper by following the instructions on the Glow n' Grow page or actually on the seeded paper to grow some amazing herbs to jazz up those recipes at home.
We implore all of our customers to do their part to take care of the environment, and if you have any recommendations or suggestions as to how we can become more sustainable in any aspect of our operations, we'd love to hear from you: email@example.com
Our Soy Wax
Being guided by our sustainable and eco-friendly principles, soy wax was an obvious choice for us as the main ingredient in our candles, but that's not the only reason why!....
Let's explore some of the benefits of CandleCalm's soy wax:
- Soy wax is derived from the soy bean plant and is therefore, a completely natural wax, unlike paraffin based waxes that produce some nasties when combusting.
- Soy wax is water soluble, meaning it can be dissolved in water. It does not harm the waterways.
- Soy wax is biodegradable. In fact, we already dispose of our waste soy wax into our compost bin at the workshop. The worms and plants love it.
- Soy wax cleans very easily with warm, soapy water, enabling you to clean out the glass with ease ready for a bit of the old upcycling.
- Soy wax is very cost efficient because it burns 50% longer than your normal paraffin based waxes, saving you more money.
- Our wax is sourced from sustainable soy bean farms
- Soy wax scent loading capacity is around 8-10% and it has a great scent hold and throw, meaning your candle will be smelt throughout your interior.
Our Essential Oils
We only use 100% pure essential oils to scent our soy wax candles, which means our scents are not diluted with anything else. No chemicals, no perfumes, no fragrances, which in turn means no toxins, carcinogens or phthalates.
Our essential oils are beneficial (therapeutic you might say) when they are used in the right way and you find the oil that is right for you.
When essential oil vapours reach the receptor sites in our nasal passage, messages are sent to the emotional part of the brain called the Limbic System, which is also connected to the parts of the brain that control heart rate, blood pressure, adrenaline release, memory, stress and hormonal balances etc. Various physical and emotional reactions have been recorded through treatments with essential oils and it is here where the links between essential oils and physiological/psychological effects have been connected.
Let's examine some of the health benefits of inhaling essential oils:
- Relieving stress
- Relieving anxiety
- Improving sleep
- Supporting concentration and focus
- Improving memory
- Relieving cold and flu symptoms
- Inspect repelling properties
We produce combination scented candles to create great aromas and to cover a myriad of beneficial health aspects with our candles, because our amazing customers are the heart of the matter, so you, your health and your interiors matter most, which is why we have gone firm on using only essential oils.
Our eco-wicks are made of pure cotton from sustainable cotton farms, and are interlaced with thin paper filaments for a more stable and consistent burn. They consist of specially treated paper threads providing a controlled curling of the wick as it burns. As the wick is self-trimming this means that there is a decrease in mushrooming (carbon build up) as well as smoke and soot. It is important that you keep your wick trimmed, if required, to 5mm prior to lighting to ensure a clean, calming burn and flame and to prevent unwanted burnt wick ends falling into your candle.